Friday, September 28, 2012

2012 Mr Olympia The Best In The World!

As I sit and write this at 2:41 pm on September 28th, 2012, the best bodybuilders in the world have gathered in Las Vegas to do battle and find out who is the best in the world. There is a lot of excitement this year, as ALL of the men have made great strides in improving their physiques. Last year's reigning champion, Phil Heath, included.

I first met Phil in 2006 at the Bodyrock Championships in Virginia. He was backstage pumping up and I thought he was in the Heavyweight division that day competing. I had never seen him, and hadn't heard the name yet, so I was just glad I was a lightheavy that day so I wouldn't have to go up against him. He was, in fact,guest posing that day!

Me and Phil at the 2006 Bodyrock!
I got to see Phil a few times earlier this year: in March at the Arnold and in May at the Pittsburgh Championships. After that he went into prep mode and disappeared for awhile. He emerged about two weeks ago in a few pictures online and to say the least, his improvements are impressive!

Phil Heath a few weeks ago. Who can beat THAT?
I do believe Phil will retain the title this year. With Jay Cutler sitting out this year, I don't see anyone else who can beat him.

As for who will place second? I have NO IDEA! All of the guys who will be in the top 6 this year will be interchangeable and can place anywhere depending on how they nail their conditioning and how the final few hours of their prep goes.

2011 Mr Olympia Phil Heath
The final 24 hours of a contest prep for a bodybuilder can make or break the WHOLE year or even longer depending on how long they trained for the show. One slight miscalculation and you go from 2nd to not even placing and being written off all together. This sport is funny like that. Seems like forever until the day of the show and then it's a game of mere minutes to peak and have complete control over your body. Miss it and it's back to the drawing board or sometimes even retirement.

So, MY Olympia prediction?

1st: Phil Heath
2nd-Last place: Everyone Else!

We will see how close I am tomorrow night when all the dust settles and the 2012 Olympia Champion is crowned!

1 comment:

  1. I like Phil Heath and Jay but i would really like to see Branch Warren win just one Mr. O I am a fan of Branch.

    ReplyDelete